As part of the upgrade I needed to be able to fix some web parts that did not migrate correctly (either during the upgrade itself or as a result of moving a web). Before I started messing around with the web parts though I wanted to be able to see what I was dealing with. So I decided to create this simple command called gl-enumpagewebparts that would enable me to list out in XML all the web parts that are on a given page (open or closed).
One thing that I found that was very interesting was that the web part manager export method treats V2 and V3 web parts very differently. But perhaps the biggest annoyance I found was that I couldn’t get the web part zone from the web part instance itself – I had to use the web part manager (SPLimitedWebPartManager) to get it (took me longer than I’d like to admit to figure that out). This command is really quite simple – it takes in an url to a web part page, loads up an SPLimitedWebPartManager (for both the shared and personal views) and then loops through the WebParts collection outputting the results as XML.
I created three separate methods to get the XML details – one is verbose and essentially just uses the built in Export() method to get the XML (you can get these results via the -verbose parameter), another is a bit simpler and is constructed by hand (this is the default) and a third is actually for use by another command that I created which I’ll be documenting soon. The core code is shown below:
The syntax of the command I created can be seen below.
C:\>stsadm -help gl-enumpagewebparts stsadm -o gl-enumpagewebparts Lists all the web parts that have been added to the specified page. Parameters: -url <web part page URL> [-verbose]
Here’s an example of how to list all the web parts on a given page and dump to a text file:
stsadm -o gl-enumpagewebparts -url "http://intranet/hr/pages/default.aspx" -verbose > webparts.xml