Moved to Github

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint Online

I’ve been pretty slow to learning how to use github for the management of my open source projects but I’ve finally managed to take the time to at least learn enough so that I could move my main projects over. I don’t know that I’ve got everything done exactly the way it should be as I kind of stumbled through it a bit but I think what I’ve got so far should be a good […]

Announcing My SharePoint 2013 Custom Cmdlets

Posted on 5 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2013

I’ve been putting this off for quite a while but I’ve finally pushed out a SharePoint 2013 build of my custom cmdlets. The reason it took so long was because I had to make a fair bit of changes to my existing stuff so that it would be easier to maintain both builds going forward. Specifically I needed to change the namespace of all the classes (which had 2010 in them) and I wanted to […]

Replace SharePoint 2010 Web Parts by Type

Posted on 5 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you needed to replace all occurrences of one web part type with another web part type? No? Consider this scenario: you are using the out of the box content query web part and you discover one of the numerous bugs with this web part or decide that you want to ensure that a specific XSLT file is always used or something like that, so you decide […]

Exporting and Importing SharePoint 2010 Terms

Posted on 11 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010

Ever had the need to migrate Terms from the Managed Metadata Term Store from one environment to another? Do you find the flat, CSV, import approach provided out of the box to be insufficient (especially with its lack of support for alternate labels)? When I first started working with Terms over two years ago I was extremely frustrated by the lack of export and import capabilities so I decided to solve the problem myself by […]

Updating SharePoint 2010 User Information

Posted on 84 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Scripting, Scripts, SharePoint 2010

One of my clients recently had an issue where a particularly high profile user (CEO) had their title spelled incorrectly in Active Directory; unfortunately the error wasn’t noticed right away and now, despite changing the information in Active Directory, SharePoint was still showing the wrong title in the People Picker when granting the user rights to a Site Collection. Fortunately I had a partial PowerShell script to fix the issue and just needed to only […]

Resetting SharePoint 2010 Themes – Part 2, the Reset-SPTheme cmdlet

Posted on 11 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010

Yesterday I threw up a quick post showing how to reset a SharePoint 2010 theme using a reasonably simple Windows PowerShell script. In that post I promised that I’d convert the script to a cmdlet and make it part of my downloadable extensions. Well, as promised I’ve updated my extensions so that they now include a Reset-SPTheme cmdlet. I added on minor enhancement over the previously shown script in that I allow you to pass […]

Getting (and taking ownership of) Checked Out Files using Windows PowerShell

Posted on 22 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2010

Often when I’m working on a project I need to generate a list of all checked out files and provide that to my client just prior to release to production. Sometimes the client will manually inspect each of them and act as they see fit and other times they’ll ask me to just batch publish all of them (for which I use my Publish-SPListItems cmdlet). So, how do I generate the report for the client? […]

Programmatically Setting SharePoint 2010 Calendar Overlays

Posted on 43 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010

I recently did a project where my client needed several calendars provisioned via a Feature Receiver when a particular type of Site Collection was created; they had one primary calendar and they wanted all the other calendars to be overlaid onto the primary one using SharePoint 2010’s Calendar overlay capabilities. Here’s a quick summary of this feature if you’re not familiar with it. When you are looking at a calendar you should notice that there […]

Retrieving and Configuring the SharePoint 2010 Developer Dashboard using PowerShell

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010

It’s been almost a year to the day since I’ve released my SharePoint 2010 cmdlets and, despite many good intentions to get them documented on my blog, things have just fallen by the wayside; this was primarily due to me going out on my own and writing my first book – but now that the book is done and I’ve begun to establish myself as an independent consultant, I believe it’s about time I start […]

Upgrading User Profile Choice Fields to SharePoint 2010

Posted on 3 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Scripting, Scripts

I’m working on an upgrade (database attach) for a client of mine and I ran into something somewhat unexpected with some User Profile properties – properties that used a choice field in 2007 (fields that allowed the administrator to define a list of values that the user could pick from) were migrated to Managed Term Store based fields when upgraded. At first glance this was pretty cool; the only problem was that, though the field […]