Announcing My SharePoint 2010 PowerShell Cmdlets & STSADM Commands Now Available for Download

Posted on 18 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010, STSADM Commands

I’ve been wanting to release the SharePoint 2010 version of my STSADM extensions for quite some time but honestly just haven’t had the time to migrate as many as I would have liked. With over 145 STSADM extensions for SharePoint 2007 it was a challenge determining which ones I should focus on initially for the migration. But today I’m happy to announce my initial release which contains 46 PowerShell cmdlets and 56 STSADM commands specific […]

Setting Back Connection Host Names for SharePoint 2007 Using STSADM

Posted on 9 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

Not too long ago Microsoft introduced a security fix which addresses a possible attack vector in which malicious software tries to impersonate a local request, thereby bypassing certain constraints.  The problem with this fix is that it introduces some issues for SharePoint servers, effectively resulting in 401.1 Access Denied errors.  Spence Harbar does a great write-up of the fix and the options available to get your SharePoint environment working again so I won’t re-hash all […]

Setting List Properties using STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

Recently I had a reader of my blog send me a modified version of my gl-addlist command in which he added some additional properties to set a couple of the SPList properties (specifically the versioning settings).  In thinking about this I decided that it might be helpful to have a command specifically for setting most of the SPList properties rather than try to incorporate them into a more general command like the gl-addlist command so […]

Importing Audiences using STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I recently posted about exporting audiences using my gl-exportaudiences STSADM command.  Of course an export wouldn’t be of much use if you didn’t also have an import so I give you gl-importaudiences. Developing this was really easy as I already had code that created an audience and its associated rules.  All I had to do was read in the source XML file, do a little refactoring of the audience creation code and then call the […]

Exporting Audiences using STSADM

Posted on 4 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I’d been wanting to build an export and import command for Audiences for quite some time but just haven’t gotten around to it.  I’m currently looking for a good sample command to build during a possible talk at the next Best Practices conference so I decided to give this one a whack considering that I already had a good chunk of the code written and just needed to repurpose it.  I don’t know if I’ll […]

Configuring SSO via STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I can’t actually take credit for this particular command – in fact I’ve never configured SSO so I personally don’t know much about it.  I got the code from Stef van Hooijdonk who graciously provided the code he produced. I made a few minor changes to Stef’s code just to bring it in line with the rest of my code but otherwise it’s as was provided to me – as such I’m not really prepared […]

Synchronizing Quota Settings via STSADM

Posted on 6 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

When working with clients on their SharePoint deployment I often get questions about the quota templates and how they work.  Quotas are kind of odd because of the disconnected nature of the quota template and the quota that is assigned to a site collection.  Often people assume that changing the template settings affects all site collections using that template.  Unfortunately that is not the case.  The issue is made worse by the fact that the […]

Setting the Master Page Using STSADM

Posted on 15 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I’d thought about building an STSADM command to enable setting the master page of a site for quite a while but had opted not to do it simply out of principle – it’s generally a better idea to do this via a Feature and I didn’t really want to promote a bad practice.  Ultimately though I had to concede that there are administrators who will not have the luxury of having developers who can create […]

Replacing Navigation URLs Using STSADM

Posted on 14 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I was working on a project last Fall where a client of mine had a single site collection for their entire document library which was expected to be over 1TB.  As a result of the large size of the site collection we decided to break it up into multiple site collections each contained within their own content database (we ended up with 12 in the end).  The problem was that when we migrated all the […]

Recalculating Usage Statistics via STSADM or PowerShell

Posted on 8 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I was perusing through the SharePoint forums the other day and I came across an issue that someone was having with the usage statistics information for their My Sites site collections.  When they viewed the usage data (~site/_layouts/usage.aspx) they were seeing incorrect information.  I’m not really sure why the numbers were wrong but fixing them turned out to be pretty easy.  There’s a public method called “RecalculateStorageUsed” that, when called, will recalculate the usage statistics […]