gl-fixpagecontact Deprecated!!!

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

Woohoo! – I finally get to deprecate one of my commands – after creating and publishing 135 commands I discovered today that the August Cumulative Update fixes the issue that my gl-fixpagecontact command sought to address.  If you look back at the post for that command you can see that there was a bug with the product which resulted in a user not found exception being thrown when looking at the settings of a publishing […]

Deactivating Features at Different Scopes Using STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I just posted about one of my new commands, gl-activatefeature, which covers activating features at different scopes using STSADM.  That article covers all the code necessary to not only implement the activation, but also the deactivation.  So creating the next command, gl-deactivatefeature, was as simple as copying the container code for the activation command and changing a few simple lines of code.  This command works exactly like the other except that it deactivates the Feature […]

Activating Features at Different Scopes Using STSADM

Posted on 11 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

How many times have you had a Feature, either out-of-the-box or custom, that you have needed to activate at lots of different scopes or re-activate at lots of different scopes?  To do this you may have found a way to get the list of site collections or webs and then somehow used that list in conjunction with the STSADM activatefeature command or worse you manually went to every site or web and manually activated or […]

A Better execadmsvcjobs STSADM Command

Posted on 5 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This is something that’s been bugging me for a long time – when you run the out of the box execadmsvcjobs command on a server it only ensures that pending jobs on that one server are executed – when it completes it doesn’t mean that jobs on other servers in the farm have completed.  This gets real annoying when you are using a script to deploy solution because end up getting errors about pending timer […]

Changing the Application Pool Identity via STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This past week I presented at the local Colorado Springs SharePoint User Group meeting on using and customizing STSADM.  The talk was really less about STSADM and more about SharePoint administration tips, tricks, and best practices – but we did create a new STSADM command from scratch during the meeting.  I’ve taken what we did during the meeting and reworked it to add proper validation and help documentation and have included it in my download […]

Listing Event Receivers using STSADM

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This post wraps up my event receiver posts.  I just finished documenting the gl-addeventreceiver and gl-deleteeventreceiver commands and this final command would be gl-enumeventreceivers. This command is the simplest of the three as it’s just looping through all the event receivers belonging to the specified target and dumping the results out as XML.  I’ve tried to structure the XML so that it conforms to the CAML schema therefore allowing the results to be put into […]

Deleting an Event Receiver using STSADM

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I had some time so I decided to add the counterparts to the gl-addeventreceiver command that I just published.  I created two new commands, gl-deleteeventreceiver and gl-enumeventreceivers.  This post will cover the delete command and I’ll go over the enum command in my next post. From a code perspective the delete command is very similar to the add command.  The main difference (aside from the obvious call to Delete instead of Add) is that I’ve […]

Adding Event Receivers using STSADM

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

A few months ago I created a CodePlex project that allows you to configure a library to allow the storing of web part page history.  The project at its core used three item event receivers to listen to certain key events and either backup the page or restore the page based on the event.  Recently I was thinking about what might be the best way to allow people to script the settings that enable the […]

Create a Publishing Page via STSADM

Posted on 15 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I’m working on a project which is going to require the creation of about a hundred publishing pages which were going to have to be created by hand.  I really didn’t want to have to sit there going through the UI to create all those pages so I threw together a new STSADM command that I could use via a script to create the pages: gl-createpublishingpage. Creating publishing pages via code is pretty simple – […]