Retrieving SharePoint 2010 Feature Activations Using Windows PowerShell

Posted on 3 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Scripting, Scripts

During my PowerShell for Developers presentation in London last week I promised to show and demonstrate a script for retrieving Feature activations; unfortunately I ran out of time and was not able to show this script to the degree that I’d intended so I decided to throw together this blog post. When developing custom Features it is very common to expect that there will need to be some level of update required for those Features. […]

Deploying SharePoint Files Not Handled by the WSP Solution Schema

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in Article, SharePoint 2007

I was working on a project recently where I had to deploy a settings file to the root of my web applications folder (where the web.config file resides).  If you’ve ever had to do something like this before then you know that you cannot do this declaratively using the WSP’s Solution schema.  The Solution schema is really quite limiting as to where you can actually deploy files – as a result your only option is […]

Ensuring a Valid SPContext via Feature Activation

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Article, SharePoint 2007

I’ve been meaning to blog about this for a while but just haven’t gotten around to it.  Have you ever needed to add a web part to a page during Feature activation?  Of course you can do this declaratively using CAML but I usually prefer to do this stuff via code.  The challenge is that occasionally you will need to activate the Feature outside the context of a web request – such as via STSADM […]

Deactivating Features at Different Scopes Using STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I just posted about one of my new commands, gl-activatefeature, which covers activating features at different scopes using STSADM.  That article covers all the code necessary to not only implement the activation, but also the deactivation.  So creating the next command, gl-deactivatefeature, was as simple as copying the container code for the activation command and changing a few simple lines of code.  This command works exactly like the other except that it deactivates the Feature […]

Activating Features at Different Scopes Using STSADM

Posted on 11 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

How many times have you had a Feature, either out-of-the-box or custom, that you have needed to activate at lots of different scopes or re-activate at lots of different scopes?  To do this you may have found a way to get the list of site collections or webs and then somehow used that list in conjunction with the STSADM activatefeature command or worse you manually went to every site or web and manually activated or […]

Customizing MySites

Posted on 30 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007

This posting doesn’t actually have anything to do with stsadm (unless you count the fact that you need stsadm to install Features) but I figured I’d post this here regardless as I’ve seen a lot of questions out there regarding how to do this. My specific requirement was to remove the "Create Blog" button on the My Sites home page. There are two ways to accomplish this – one that’s supported and one that’s not. […]

Enumerate Features

Posted on 11 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

One of the tasks I needed to do for my upgrade was to convert a sub site to a site collection. This is something I’m still trying to get right as of this writing but figured I’d share a new command I had to create to help with that. To convert a site to a site collection at a managed path you need to create the managed path, create a site with no site template, […]