“_ULS_EXPAND_FORCED_LOGGING_MESSAGES_” Environment Variable Explained

Posted on 3 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013

Have you ever been looking through the SharePoint ULS logs trying to troubleshoot one issue or another and come across entries such as this: [Forced due to logging gap, Original Level: <TraceLevel>] <Some message> {0} I was recently working with a client who noticed an message like this in the ULS logs and was baffled by the fact that the {0} was not being replaced with the relevant data referred to in the message text. […]

Get-SPControlElement

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in PowerShell Scripting

I haven’t really done much blogging lately so I figured I’d try and get back into it by sharing some scripts from my collection. Over the years I’ve created tons and tons of little scripts here and there to help me solve one problem or another – whether it be some upgrade related thing or a content or build migration or just some random snippet to help me figure out what the heck is going […]

Parallel SharePoint Tasks with PowerShell

Posted on 3 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Scripting, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013

Today I was working on a deployment for a client which entailed activating a custom SharePoint Feature on about 1000 Site Collections. This Feature did a fair number of things and on average it takes about 10-15 minutes to complete in their test environment (which is pretty slow compared to their production environment which I’ve not yet deployed to but I expect close to a 5 minute run time per Site Collection once I go […]

Replace SharePoint 2010 Web Parts by Type

Posted on 5 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you needed to replace all occurrences of one web part type with another web part type? No? Consider this scenario: you are using the out of the box content query web part and you discover one of the numerous bugs with this web part or decide that you want to ensure that a specific XSLT file is always used or something like that, so you decide […]

International SharePoint Conference 2012 Follow-up

Posted on 8 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Scripting, Speaking

First off I apologize for the delay in getting this post out – I’ve been fraught with injuries and illness since my return from London and just haven’t had the time or mental capacity to think about writing anything. During my sessions at the ISC I demonstrated (along with Spence Harbar and Chan Kulathilake) how we could use PowerShell to provision the entire SharePoint 2010 Farm used throughout the IT track at the conference (yeah, […]

Exporting and Importing SharePoint 2010 Terms

Posted on 10 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2010

Ever had the need to migrate Terms from the Managed Metadata Term Store from one environment to another? Do you find the flat, CSV, import approach provided out of the box to be insufficient (especially with its lack of support for alternate labels)? When I first started working with Terms over two years ago I was extremely frustrated by the lack of export and import capabilities so I decided to solve the problem myself by […]

“Stamping” PDF Files Downloaded from SharePoint 2010

Posted on 16 CommentsPosted in Article, SharePoint 2010

First off I want to clarify that the subject of this post is not my idea as it is something that my friend Roman Kobzarev put together for his company and I merely assisted with getting the code to work. The problem that Roman was trying to solve was that his company provided numerous PDF files that registered/paying members could download and, unfortunately, they were finding some of those files being posted to various other […]

Updating SharePoint 2010 User Information

Posted on 78 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Scripting, Scripts, SharePoint 2010

One of my clients recently had an issue where a particularly high profile user (CEO) had their title spelled incorrectly in Active Directory; unfortunately the error wasn’t noticed right away and now, despite changing the information in Active Directory, SharePoint was still showing the wrong title in the People Picker when granting the user rights to a Site Collection. Fortunately I had a partial PowerShell script to fix the issue and just needed to only […]