Synchronizing Quota Settings via STSADM

Posted on 6 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

When working with clients on their SharePoint deployment I often get questions about the quota templates and how they work.  Quotas are kind of odd because of the disconnected nature of the quota template and the quota that is assigned to a site collection.  Often people assume that changing the template settings affects all site collections using that template.  Unfortunately that is not the case.  The issue is made worse by the fact that the […]

Setting the Master Page Using STSADM

Posted on 15 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I’d thought about building an STSADM command to enable setting the master page of a site for quite a while but had opted not to do it simply out of principle – it’s generally a better idea to do this via a Feature and I didn’t really want to promote a bad practice.  Ultimately though I had to concede that there are administrators who will not have the luxury of having developers who can create […]

Don’t Use the PrepareToMove STSADM Command

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

Todd Carter just published an interesting post about when to use, and more appropriately, not use the preparetomove command: http://blogs.msdn.com/toddca/archive/2009/01/30/preparetomove-away-from-running-this-command.aspx.  Essentially if you have at least the Infrastructure Update (IU) installed then using this command will cause you issues.  See Todd’s post for more details.

Replacing Navigation URLs Using STSADM

Posted on 14 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I was working on a project last Fall where a client of mine had a single site collection for their entire document library which was expected to be over 1TB.  As a result of the large size of the site collection we decided to break it up into multiple site collections each contained within their own content database (we ended up with 12 in the end).  The problem was that when we migrated all the […]

Recalculating Usage Statistics via STSADM or PowerShell

Posted on 8 CommentsPosted in PowerShell Cmdlets, SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I was perusing through the SharePoint forums the other day and I came across an issue that someone was having with the usage statistics information for their My Sites site collections.  When they viewed the usage data (~site/_layouts/usage.aspx) they were seeing incorrect information.  I’m not really sure why the numbers were wrong but fixing them turned out to be pretty easy.  There’s a public method called “RecalculateStorageUsed” that, when called, will recalculate the usage statistics […]

gl-fixpagecontact Deprecated!!!

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

Woohoo! – I finally get to deprecate one of my commands – after creating and publishing 135 commands I discovered today that the August Cumulative Update fixes the issue that my gl-fixpagecontact command sought to address.  If you look back at the post for that command you can see that there was a bug with the product which resulted in a user not found exception being thrown when looking at the settings of a publishing […]

Deactivating Features at Different Scopes Using STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I just posted about one of my new commands, gl-activatefeature, which covers activating features at different scopes using STSADM.  That article covers all the code necessary to not only implement the activation, but also the deactivation.  So creating the next command, gl-deactivatefeature, was as simple as copying the container code for the activation command and changing a few simple lines of code.  This command works exactly like the other except that it deactivates the Feature […]

Activating Features at Different Scopes Using STSADM

Posted on 11 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

How many times have you had a Feature, either out-of-the-box or custom, that you have needed to activate at lots of different scopes or re-activate at lots of different scopes?  To do this you may have found a way to get the list of site collections or webs and then somehow used that list in conjunction with the STSADM activatefeature command or worse you manually went to every site or web and manually activated or […]

A Better execadmsvcjobs STSADM Command

Posted on 5 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This is something that’s been bugging me for a long time – when you run the out of the box execadmsvcjobs command on a server it only ensures that pending jobs on that one server are executed – when it completes it doesn’t mean that jobs on other servers in the farm have completed.  This gets real annoying when you are using a script to deploy solution because end up getting errors about pending timer […]

Change Password Script

Posted on 3 CommentsPosted in Scripts, SharePoint 2007

I’d been meaning to post this for quite some time but just haven’t gotten around to it – as paranoid administrators we often find the need to change our service account passwords and doing so with a product like SharePoint can be a rather significant effort if you consider all the various accounts that may be used in a least privileges model.  If you’re just about to make hit this situation you’re likely to do […]