Changing the Application Pool Identity via STSADM

Posted on 2 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This past week I presented at the local Colorado Springs SharePoint User Group meeting on using and customizing STSADM.  The talk was really less about STSADM and more about SharePoint administration tips, tricks, and best practices – but we did create a new STSADM command from scratch during the meeting.  I’ve taken what we did during the meeting and reworked it to add proper validation and help documentation and have included it in my download […]

Listing Event Receivers using STSADM

Posted on Posted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This post wraps up my event receiver posts.  I just finished documenting the gl-addeventreceiver and gl-deleteeventreceiver commands and this final command would be gl-enumeventreceivers. This command is the simplest of the three as it’s just looping through all the event receivers belonging to the specified target and dumping the results out as XML.  I’ve tried to structure the XML so that it conforms to the CAML schema therefore allowing the results to be put into […]

Deleting an Event Receiver using STSADM

Posted on Posted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I had some time so I decided to add the counterparts to the gl-addeventreceiver command that I just published.  I created two new commands, gl-deleteeventreceiver and gl-enumeventreceivers.  This post will cover the delete command and I’ll go over the enum command in my next post. From a code perspective the delete command is very similar to the add command.  The main difference (aside from the obvious call to Delete instead of Add) is that I’ve […]

Adding Event Receivers using STSADM

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

A few months ago I created a CodePlex project that allows you to configure a library to allow the storing of web part page history.  The project at its core used three item event receivers to listen to certain key events and either backup the page or restore the page based on the event.  Recently I was thinking about what might be the best way to allow people to script the settings that enable the […]

Create a Publishing Page via STSADM

Posted on 15 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I’m working on a project which is going to require the creation of about a hundred publishing pages which were going to have to be created by hand.  I really didn’t want to have to sit there going through the UI to create all those pages so I threw together a new STSADM command that I could use via a script to create the pages: gl-createpublishingpage. Creating publishing pages via code is pretty simple – […]

Enumerating Email Enabled Lists via STSADM

Posted on 6 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I can’t really take much credit for this command – fellow MVP Todd Klindt had a custom console application that he’d created to do the same thing but it was lacking some functionality and was not created as an stsadm extension.  He asked if I’d mind reworking it to allow different scopes and to make it an extension.  Fortunately I had some time so I took a look at his code to get this one […]

Updating the Default Content Access Account via STSADM

Posted on Posted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This is one that I’ve been wanting to address for a while and I finally decided to sit down and just do it.  If you’ve had your environment in place long enough to have to change the passwords you know that you can change most of the passwords using the out of the box STSADM commands – many refer to this support article from Microsoft on how to do this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838. Because there’s so many […]

Enabling Audience Targeting on a List

Posted on 3 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I thought I was done documenting my audience related STSADM commands and then I realized that I had completely forgotten one.  The first audience related command I had created was to enable audience targeting on a list – I called it gl-listaudiencetargeting.  I needed this because my current project had tons of lists that that needed audience targeting turned on.  Eventually these lists were added via a Feature but initially I did it via the […]

Setting the Audience Compilation Schedule via STSADM

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

In an effort to wrap up my audience related STSADM commands I created a command that allows me to set the audience compilation schedule via STSADM.  I had to do some disassembling to figure out how to do this and it turned out that the code was virtually identical to what I had done for the gl-setuserprofileimportschedule command.  So it turned out that I was able to create this command by simply coping the code […]