Setting Back Connection Host Names for SharePoint 2007 Using STSADM

Posted on 9 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

Not too long ago Microsoft introduced a security fix which addresses a possible attack vector in which malicious software tries to impersonate a local request, thereby bypassing certain constraints.  The problem with this fix is that it introduces some issues for SharePoint servers, effectively resulting in 401.1 Access Denied errors.  Spence Harbar does a great write-up of the fix and the options available to get your SharePoint environment working again so I won’t re-hash all […]

Deploying SharePoint Files Not Handled by the WSP Solution Schema

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in Article, SharePoint 2007

I was working on a project recently where I had to deploy a settings file to the root of my web applications folder (where the web.config file resides).  If you’ve ever had to do something like this before then you know that you cannot do this declaratively using the WSP’s Solution schema.  The Solution schema is really quite limiting as to where you can actually deploy files – as a result your only option is […]

A Better execadmsvcjobs STSADM Command

Posted on 5 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

This is something that’s been bugging me for a long time – when you run the out of the box execadmsvcjobs command on a server it only ensures that pending jobs on that one server are executed – when it completes it doesn’t mean that jobs on other servers in the farm have completed.  This gets real annoying when you are using a script to deploy solution because end up getting errors about pending timer […]

Setting the Audience Compilation Schedule via STSADM

Posted on 1 CommentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

In an effort to wrap up my audience related STSADM commands I created a command that allows me to set the audience compilation schedule via STSADM.  I had to do some disassembling to figure out how to do this and it turned out that the code was virtually identical to what I had done for the gl-setuserprofileimportschedule command.  So it turned out that I was able to create this command by simply coping the code […]

Profile Import Timer Job

Posted on 6 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I was recently trying to debug some issues that I was having with the people picker that is shown when creating audiences and I found that I needed a way to manually trigger the distribution list import quickly but I didn’t always want to have to wait for the user profile import to finish.  If you run an import using the SSP admin site you might notice that it imports all the user profile information […]

Enumerate Timer Job Definitions

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I created this particular command because I needed to get some additional information about service level timer jobs. If you go to Central Admin -> Operations -> Time Job Definitions (or status) you’ll see all the timer jobs for the farm. This includes those associated with a particular web application and a service. I already had a command to get all the jobs for a web app (GetJobInfos) however this command didn’t give me all […]

Site Directory Links Scan

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

I’m starting to work on getting our Site Directory configured and the first thing I noticed after performing my test upgrade was there were tons of links in the site directory to dead sites. This is because in SPS2003 there was no mechanism (that I’m aware of at least) to clear out dead items in the list. With MOSS there’s now a timer job that can be configured to clean up the site directory. I […]

Set User Profile Import Schedule

Posted on 5 CommentsPosted in SharePoint 2007, STSADM Commands

Update 9/18/2007: I’ve modified this command so that it no longer manipulates the database directly. The content below has been updated to reflect the changes. This particular command which I called gl-setuserprofileimportschedule, really drove me nuts. As far as I could find there is no way to set this information using any Microsoft provided public API. If you disassemble the code that is doing this you’ll find lots of great classes that allow programmatic manipulation […]